Who Is He?
- Name – Mason Greenwood
- Age – 10/1/1999 (19 years old)
- Rookie Season/ Team – 2018 / Manchester United
- Nationality – English
- International Caps (Goals) – 1 (0)
- Position – Forward / Winger
- Current Team / League – Manchester United / English Premier League
Mason Greenwood Career Overview
Mason Greenwood hails from Bradford, born in 1999. He joined Manchester United’s legendary academy in 2005 when he was six years old. Like teammate Marcus Rashford, his rise has been rapid, but Greenwood has managed to (mostly) handle the pressure well.
He was first called up the Manchester United first team in July 2018 during a pre-season tour in the USA. His first appearance came as a substitute, replacing Luke Shaw in a game against Club America. Later in the year, he signed his first professional contract. Then-manager Jose Mourinho invited him to train with the first team in preparation for a UEFA Champions League game against Valencia.
In 2019, Greenwood made his competitive debut for the Red Devils as a substitute in the memorable 3-1 victory over Paris Saint-Germain. This appearance made him the second youngest Manchester United player in the competition’s history, behind Norman Whiteside.
The 2019/20 season saw Greenwood breakthrough into the first-team squad and cement himself as one to watch for the future. Although he began the season making several substitute appearances, he scored on his first Europa League start, scoring the only goal against Astana.
Greenwood got himself on the scoresheet a week later in a Carabao Cup game against Rochdale and continued this fine run by scoring a goal and assisting one for Anthony Martial to put Manchester United through to the next round.
In November, Greenwood netted his first goal in a 3-3 draw against Sheffield United. December saw him score 4 goals before the end of the year, including the last goal of the 2010s. He struggled for goals for the first three games of 2020, but hit the back of the net in a 4-0 win over Norwich. This form continued in Europe, becoming the first teenager to score five goals in a single season for Manchester United.
After the Premier League restart, Greenwood became a constant fixture in the team and four goals in three games.
Greenwood’s chances at such a young age have come from his versatility. While initially considered a striker, he has shown an ability to play anywhere across the front three positions. Interestingly, Greenwood also takes set pieces with his ‘weaker’ foot, which is either serious psychological warfare, or shows his quality.
His Season So Far
Greenwood has not had the best season, and as we come to the end of the year, it is understandable that he is disappointed with his output. He has only scored twice since the beginning of the season. One goal came against RB Leipzig and the other this past weekend against West Ham.
Greenwood also made his England debut this season against Iceland, but the aftermath saw him dismissed from the squad, and he is yet to make another senior international appearance.
How Do His Stats Look?
Even though Greenwood is still yet to turn 20, he already has a wealthy locker in terms of appearances and statistics. Overall, Greenwood has made 65 appearances for Manchester United, and has scored 20 goals across all competitions along with seven assists. This gives him a goal contribution ratio of 0.41.
If you want to compare this to the likes of Phil Foden, who is of a similar age, if not the same position, it is certainly promising. In Greenwood’s first full season, he netted 17 goals across all competitions, which is something any Manchester United fan can get excited about.
While his current season may still be getting going, Greenwood has proven he has goals in him, although he will need to contend with competition from Edinson Cavani if he wants to lead the line. There are worse players to learn from, though.
Why Has Mason Greenwood’s Value Increased?
There are many reasons soccer value increases, and it can often change overnight. Still, there are always trends any soccer card enthusiast can look out for to get an idea of why a player such as Mason Greenwood might see an increase in value.
- A lot of hype surrounding Greenwood’s potential
- A consistent presence in the Manchester United squad
- Made his England debut earlier this year (vs. Iceland)
- Increased interest in soccer cards
- Increased interest in promising rookies
Mason Greenwood: Predictions for the Future
If you know anything about soccer, you know how tricky it can be to predict a player’s performance in the future. For every Lionel Messi, there are even more Freddy Adus or Bojans. However, with the promise that Greenwood has shown already in the past two years, we can glean some information that can tell us about how his career may pan out.
- Consistency: This is key for any player, but Greenwood has shown glimpses of consistency. This was more clear in the second half of last season, where he seemed to score almost every week.
- Club Form: Manchester United is a funny team this season, with several steps backwards and forwards each week. This could hamper Greenwood’s development, but the team has the quality to put together a good run of results at any point.
- Honors: Greenwood’s age means he has not yet enjoyed any major honors, but he has been recognized with Player of the Month and Young Player of the Year awards. He will want to build on this at Manchester United, both in domestic and European competitions.
- International Performance: Greenwood has yet to make a mark on the England team, and the attacking competition is fierce. Youth is on his side, though, and he could enjoy plenty of international success over the next 15 years.
Mason Greenwood has plenty of time on his side. He could follow David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, and Paul Scholes in becoming another homegrown Manchester United legend.
He still has a lot to do to cement himself as one of the first names of the team sheet. Greenwood may need to fix his off-field attitude in places, too. Still, Greenwood has already shown he has the tools to become a success. Pundits and fans alike consider him the most natural striker in the Manchester United team. With Edinson Cavani among its ranks, this is no mean feat.
Time will tell how Greenwood’s career pans out, but so far, it all seems so good.
To keep up to date with all the goings-on within the world of soccer and soccer cards, make sure to subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to hear about anything and everything.
How do you feel about Mason Greenwood and his soccer card value and potential? Let us know by commenting beneath.[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column] [/et_pb_row] [/et_pb_section]