Youri Tielemans: Who Is He?
- Name – Youri Tielemans
- Age – 05/07/1997 (23 years old)
- Rookie Season/ Team – 2013 / Anderlecht
- Nationality – Belgian
- International Caps (Goals) – 34 (4)
- Position – Central Midfielder
- Current Team / League – Leicester City / English Premier League
Youri Tielemans Career Overview
Youri Tielemans began his career at Anderlecht, signing his first professional contract at 16 years old. He made his debut as a substitute against Lokeren in a 2-3 loss, and this appearance made him the fourth youngest player in the league’s history.
In October, Tielemans became the youngest Belgian player in Champions League history when he started in a game against Olympiacos. Tielemans was just 16 years and 148 days. Throughout the rest of the season, Tielemans made 29 appearances. This includes scoring in a 3-0 win over Club Brugge, where he also assisted Cyriac. Anderlecht won the 2013/14 Belgian Pro League Championship Play-Offs, and Tielemans made 26 total appearances with 21 starts.
Tielemans continued to establish himself as a crucial member of the Anderlecht team across the next few seasons and also made his international debut for Belgium in 2015. He won Belgian Young Player of the Year during his first two seasons at Anderlecht. In his final season, Youri Tielemans scored 13 goals in 37 appearances as Anderlecht won 2016–17 Belgian First Division A, and was named Belgian Professional Player of the Year. In the Europa League, Tielemans scored five times in 15 games and was part of the Team of the Season.
His performances caught the eye of French club As Monaco and Tielemans joined for around €25 million. Tielemans’ first game in a Monaco shirt was a 2-1 loss to PSG in the Trophée des Champions, although he provided the assist for Monaco’s goal.
Tielemans made his Ligue 1 debut on August 4th, replacing Radamel Falcao in the 87th minute. His first goal came on his first start, where he played the full 90 minutes in a UEFA Champions League group game against RB Leipzig. The game finished 1-1, and Tielemans scored his first goal for Monaco.
This was the only goal he managed throughout the season, and the France Football magazine named him as one of the flops of the season.
Tielemans joined English Premier League outfit Leicester City in January 2019 in a deal that saw Adrien Silva join Monaco. He scored his first goal for the Foxes in the 3-1 victory against Fulham. Originally a loan, Leicester opted to make the move permanent at the end of the season.
His Season So Far
So far this season, Tielemans has played every minute in the Premier League, scoring three goals, including one in the 5-2 win over Manchester City. These goals have helped Leicester climb the table where they currently sit in fourth place. In International competition, Tielemans scored twice in the Nations League, in games against England and Denmark, and the UEFA Euros qualifying stage, deployed as a Defensive Midfielder.
How Do His Stats Look?
Not bad, to be honest. Although not a goal scorer in the same vein as compatriot Kevin De Bruyne, Tielemans still has an eye for goal, scoring 52 goals in 323 appearances and registering 47 assists in his entire career. His time at Leicester has produced 11 goals and 13 assists in 73 appearances, giving him a ratio of 0.32 goal contributions per game. There’s room for improvement, of course, but as Tielemans reaches his prime, you can expect these stats to improve.
Why Has Youri Tielemans’ Value Increased?
Soccer car values can increase and decrease regularly, but if you’ve been paying attention, you might have seen Tielemans card value increase, or at least be on the cusp of increasing any day now. But why has this happened? There are a few reasons for this and these reasons include:
- Excellent performances for Belgium in the Nations League
- Playing in a Leicester City squad that are playing well
- Established player for club and country
- Increased interest in soccer cards
- Increased interest in promising young players
Youri Tielemans: Predictions for the Future
Tielemans has played enough soccer throughout his career that we can get a solid idea of his level. This helps us predict how he will perform in the future. We already know he can play any position in Central Midfield, being both a Defensive Midfielder who can distribute the ball from deeper areas, as well as an Attacking Midfielder able to play key passes through to the strikers, whether this is Jamie Vardy or Romelu Lukaku. Likewise, his enduring presence in domestic and international squads means there are plenty of chances for Tielemans to impress.
- Consistency: Regular games mean that Tielemans can build up consistency throughout the season. He may not be the first name on the teamsheet, but he is still a focal figure of any team.
- Form: Despite chipping in with a few goals this season, Tielemans has still not broken out yet.His season rating sits at around 6.5. There is still plenty of time to go, so an uptick in form is likely.
- Club Form: Leicester City will want to make up for their slump after last season’s restart, and they seem to be doing so as they currently sit in fourth place. They’ve not played brilliantly recently, but the victory over Manchester City shows they have the quality.
- Honors: Leicester have not won a trophy since the legendary 2016 EPL winning season and were knocked out of the EFL Cup by Arsenal. They are qualified for the Round of 32 in the Europa League, and Rodgers may set their sights on an FA Cup victory, too.
- International Performance: Belgium won their Nations League group and will play France next year, hoping to make up for missing out on the Finals last year. Euro 2021 is next year, too, and they will want to repeat their World Cup 2018 performances to go the distance this time.
Age is a funny thing in soccer. As soon as you turn 23, you’re no longer considered a ‘young’ player. Youri Tielemans still has 10 years ahead of him, at least. So, you can expect that he will soon enter his prime. As an established member of both Leicester City and Belgium squads, you can expect to see a lot of him over the next few years.
To keep up to date with everything within the world of soccer and soccer cards, subscribe to our newsletter.
How do you feel about Youri Tielemans and his soccer card value and potential? Let us know by commenting beneath.