Callum Hudson-Odoi – Who Is He?
- Name – Callum Hudson-Odoi
- Age – 07/22/2000 (20 years old)
- Rookie Season / Team – 2017 / Chelsea
- Nationality – English
- International Caps (Goals) – 3 (0)
- Position – Left Winger
- Current Team / League – Chelsea / English Premier League
Callum Hudson-Odoi was born in Wandsworth. He joined Chelsea in 2007 and progressed through the youth system. In August 2016, he made his debut for the Under-18s.
During his debut season with the Under-18s, he scored eight goals in 25 games, and made 32 appearances overall in all Under-18s competitions, scoring 18 goals and providing 10 assists. This early promise caught the eye of Chelsea and England coaches, marking out Hudson-Odoi as one for the future.
Hudson-Odoi first appeared for the Chelsea first-team on January 28th during an FA Cup game against Newcastle. This came after being an unused substitute the previous month against Bournemouth in the EFL Cup. In the Newcastle game, Hudson-Odoi came off the bench in the 81st minute. Two days later, he made his first Premier League appearance, although could not make an impact as Chelsea succumbed 3-0 to Bournemouth.
Maurizio Sarri announced Hudson-Odoi would be a part of the first team squad for the 2018/19 season. This came from interest from Bayern Munich, who were apparently considering a bid. His first start for Chelsea occurred in the Community Shield, although Chelsea lost 2-0. He scored his first senior goal in the Europa League against PAOK, which was also his first start in Europe.
He did not start a Premier League game until April where he assisted Olivier Giroud’s opening goal against Brighton. Later in the month, he tore his Achilles tendon, which ruled him out for the rest of the season.
Despite continued interest from Germany, Hudson-Odoi remained at Chelsea and was part of Frank Lampard’s transfer-banned Chelsea team. He scored his first goal for The Blues in January 2020 when Chelsea beat Burnley 3-0. Later in the year, Hudson-Odoi was called up to the England team for the first time, making his debut against the Czech Republic as a 70th-minute substitute. He also started the next game, a 5-1 win over Montenegro, and assisted one of Ross Barkley’s goals.
Callum Hudson-Odoi’s Season So Far
Hudson-Odoi scored his first goal of this season in the third game where Chelsea drew with West Brom, coming back from 3-0 down after replacing Mateo Kovacic at half time. Following this, he was in and out of the starting eleven and an injury in November saw him sidelined until the end of December.
On his first game back, he assisted Chelsea’s only goal in a 3-1 defeat to Arsenal. His second goal of the season came against Manchester City, which was Chelsea’s only goal, and Hudson-Doi registered another assist against Burnley, where Chelsea won 2-0.
How Do His Stats Look?
Callum Hudson-Odoi’s youth stats speak for themselves, but youth performances do not always translate to senior quality. Throughout Hudson-Odoi’s 86 games for Chelsea, he has scored 13 goals and assisted 15, which might surprise some.
You can’t expect any 20-year-old footballer to have world-class stats, even Messi and Ronaldo didn’t shine until they passed 22. So Hudson-Odoi’s record of 0.32 goal contributions per game is quite impressive, especially when you factor in Chelsea Yo-Yo form and a lack of minutes over the past few years. This gives us an indication of why Bayern Munich were so interested in him, and with Havertz failing to live up to expectations (at the moment), there’s a chance for Hudson-Odoi to stake a claim as Chelsea’s first-choice right-winger.
Why Has His Value Increased?
Soccer card values can change in an instant, and it can be difficult to predict or even make sense of why player prices rise and fall. However, with the data available, we can identify potential trends and patterns that help us predict why a player’s price has risen, or why it could rise soon.
- Chelsea’s improved form has seen them shoot up the table
- Hudson-Odoi has played 334 of 450 EPL minutes since Tuchel took over from Frank Lampard in January
- Increased interest in soccer cards
- Interest in promising rookies that could be worth a lot in the future
Callum Hudson-Odoi – Predictions for the Future
It’s always difficult to predict the future for young soccer stars, but their success will come down to several primary factors.
- Consistency: Regular appearances is one thing Chelsea’s youngsters struggle with, and this makes it difficult for them to find consistent game-time and reach their potential. Mason Mount has bucked this trend, and Hudson-Odoi could do the same, although he needs to nail down a position as his own
- Form: Good form is only possible with consistent game-time, and if Hudson-Odoi gets it, we can expect him to establish himself as a mainstay in Chelsea’s squad
- Club Form: Tuchel’s arrival has seen Chelsea climb from 10th to 5th in the league and Hudson-Odoi has played plenty of minutes along the way, which will give everyone confidence
- Honors: Recent FA Cup and Europa League wins have provided a solid base for the 20-year-old, and he will want to win more with the club and get some individual honors along the way
- International Performance: Hudson-Odoi currently has three England caps, but he has lots of competition in an England squad filled with incredible attacking talent
Callum Hudson-Odoi seems to be popular with Thomas Tuchel despite being unceremoniously subbed-on and subbed-off in the weekend’s draw to Southampton. However, he is yet to find a position that fits him in the adjusted Chelsea formation. Over the past five league games, he has played in three different positions (Right Midfield, Second Striker, and Center Forward). Although this proves his versatility, it could hinder his progress.
But at least his career has a new lease of life under Tuchel. Chelsea’s improved form is good news for Hudson-Odoi. It can help him establish himself as an important player for a Chelsea team, even if it is full of expensive competition with the likes of Hakim Ziyech and Kai Havertz.
To keep up to date with all the goings-on within the world of soccer and soccer cards, subscribe to our newsletter.
How do you feel about Callum Hudson-Odoi and his soccer card value and potential? Let us know by commenting beneath.